There are few things more special in life's journey than receiving the news that you’re expecting. And nothing can compare to the joy of when your newborn finally arrives! This is a wonderful time of adjustment; gathering everything you need to ensure the smooth transition of having baby join you as a new addition to your family. If you’ve been given the news that you’re expecting twins, or if you have already experienced the joy of having a baby and are now planning a second addition, it’s a crucial time to consider what pram would be right for you and your baby’s - or babies! - needs.
There is no shortage of styles and functions when it comes to prams. But for those who have, or are planning to have, more than one child, you will definitely need a double pram. But this ultimately leads to the question: when choosing a double pram, do you choose a tandem or side-by-side? Which is best?
Tandem and side-by-side prams are both double prams that can accommodate two children. The most noticeable difference is the width of the pram, with a tandem pram generally no wider than a single pram, but a side-by-side pram can be up to double the width.
Generally, a tandem pram is easier to navigate through tight spaces such as doorways, shopping aisles, and narrow passageways. They are also a lot more convenient to push around city streets, or busy cafes since they are more compact, which makes it the perfect double pram for the parent on-the-go.
One of the most convenient aspects of a tandem pram is that they can be adjusted to suit your growing family. A pram such as the Redsbaby JIVE³ Pram can be converted from a single to tandem pram, allowing you versatile functionality.
Tandem prams provide a lot more versatile seating options, with some models featuring reversing seats. Common tandem pram configurations can cater for a newborn in a bassinet on the top, while the older infant, or toddler, sits in the second seat below. Some tandem prams are designed for the infant to lie in the bassinet at the bottom and a lot of tandem prams convert into a travel system with a car capsule placed in the top position.
• Easier to push and manoeuvre due to its compact nature
• Can adjust from single to double
• Easier to fold and store away, making getting in and out of the car a lot easier
• Perfect for when you’re ‘on-the-go’
• Allows for different seating combinations
• Not all tandem prams can accommodate newborn twins
• If both seats are in use, you lose a little bit of storage space in the basket
• The second seat can often be smaller. Redsbaby have designed their tandem prams to allow for a child up to 17kg in their second seat and also has a 53cm back height, to cater for tall toddlers
• Some tandem models can be slightly longer in length than a single pram
• Typically you can’t use a buggyboard when a tandem pram has the second seat in place
As the name infers, twin or side-by-side prams are basically two single prams attached together side by side. The main advantage of a side-by-side pram is that your little ones can be seated next to each other, which allows them to interact.
The seats tend to be more shallow than a tandem, which may allow for a more lightweight feel when pushing. It also allows for more storage beneath the seats than would be available in a tandem pram.
However, navigation and maneuverability is reduced in a side-by-side pram, compared to a tandem pram, and they can be much harder to fold and store as they are more bulky.
• Can typically accommodate newborn twins up to toddler age
• Allows your infants to be seated next to each other
• Good basket size and storage
• Usually very wide, making it more difficult to fit through doors and narrow spaces
• More awkward to use in public spaces including public transport, shopping aisles and doorways
• Easier for little ones to disrupt each other
• Not all side by side prams have reversible seats meaning your little ones can't see you when their at a very young age
• If you only have one child with you, you are unable to detach the second seat
• Many side-by-side prams don’t cater for a double travel system
WANT TO LEARN MORE? The multi-award winning Redsbaby JIVE³ is designed to grow with your family, converting from a single pram into a compact, easy-to-use tandem pram. Visit our stand and see practical demonstrations of our range by our friendly, expertly trained team.
Find out more about Redsbaby