No wonder you're so depleted post birth! Giving birth is the only naturally occurring time in your life where you lose so much blood - 500mL through natural birth and 1L with caesarean. This combined with pregnancy, lack of sleep and breastfeeding takes its toll. ⠀
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) there are 3 phases to the postpartum period:
(1) acute -up to 12 hours,
(2) sub-acute -2-6 weeks; and
(3) delayed postpartum period' lasting 3 weeks to 6 months.
Here we focus on the delayed postpartum period. We now know it can last up to 2 years!
During the delayed postpartum period [3 weeks-6 months] we need to replenish nutrients and renew physical strength. Here are some key foods that nourish our bodies and help to support mood and hormone health.
Foods to nourish 'Qi' and Blood - rich in Iron , A and B Vitamins:⠀
- Organic animal protein⠀
- Black beans⠀
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Red fruits like cherries, raspberries, and strawberries⠀
- Grass fed or organic bone broth⠀
- Egg yolks⠀
- Whole grains⠀
- Goji berries and Chinese Dates⠀
Foods to nourish 'Yin' which are high in Omega 3’s, Zinc and Iodine:
- Oily Fish & seafood⠀
- String beans⠀
- All dark coloured beans⠀
- Dark berries like blackberries, mulberries, and blueberries⠀
- Fluids like soups and stocks⠀
Foods to boost milk supply:
- brown rice
- fenugreek, and fennel seed
Good mood food:
- Seeds rich in magnesium
- B6: flax, pumpkins, sunflower, black sesame
Lots of fruit & veg: to aid digestion and prevent constipation.⠀
The postpartum time is one of the most important times in a woman’s life - use food as medicine as a great foundation for motherhood and future health.
At HQ | Intelligent Health we've created high-quality superfood blends with Traditional Chinese Medicine foods, wholefoods and organic vitamins. Scientifically formulated to help mamas with postpartum recovery, breastfeeding and beyond. Visit us at hqhealth.com.au or @hqhealth for Ancient Wisdom + Evidence Based Nutrition.