Yoga for kids
By fun-key yoga
Many perceive Yoga to be the art of contorting into strange poses, whilst meditating & making ‘ommming’ sounds. Little do most realize, is that the ancient art of yoga for kids and adults provides so many benefits in this modern, ‘hurry up’ world, it’s almost as if it were designed just for today!
When practiced regularly:
· Yoga improves flexibility whilst building strength
· Yoga improves the circulation of blood & oxygen absorption of cells. It also thins the blood which leads to a decrease in risk of heart attack & stroke
· Yoga assists in circulation of other fluids around the body, such as those within our bones & cartilage which can prevent arthritis & keep disks supple; as well as assists drainage of lymph which helps you fight infection, destroys cancerous cells & disposes of toxins
· Yoga lowers the resting heart rate & increases endurance
· Yoga lowers blood pressure as well as cortisol levels (high levels of cortisol can compromise your immune system as well as are associated with memory loss, major depression, osteoporosis, & insulin resistance)
· Yoga lowers blood sugar & LDL (bad) cholesterol & boosts HDL (good) cholesterol
· Yoga helps your brain – it improves co-ordination, reaction time, memory & even IQ scores
· Yoga encourages you to relax, is calming, reduces stress & depression
· Yoga releases tension & can ease pain
· Yoga improves sleep / insomnia
· Yoga improves the immune system
· Yoga can ease constipation
· Yoga can aid in the treatment of asthma, type II diabetes, & obsessive compulsive disorders
· Yoga helps control emotions (especially hostile ones such as anger)
Yoga can be for kids
Very few people associate yoga with kids, nor even think that it would be possible for a child to be able to be engaged for very long by it. What if we made yoga fun and engaging? Why not have them pretend to be barking dogs whilst doing the ‘downward dog’ pose, or roar like lions whilst doing the ‘lion’ pose? Whilst making these fun animal sounds, little would they realize that they would actually be practicing some energizing yoga breathing exercises!
What if we used upbeat music instead of ambient music and made meditation as simple and effective as concentrating on balancing an object on their forehead whilst lying still and relaxed listening to a favourite song?
We are seeing more and more children in schools (even pre-schools and early learning centers) with poor flexibility, low fitness levels, and suffering obesity as well as various learning and emotional challenges.
Yoga is not only the perfect exercise for us adults living in the 21st century, but for children trying to grow up in it. By improving their immune system, assisting them in controlling emotions, helping them increase fitness & flexibility, improving quality of sleep, teaching them the ability to self-calm & relax, giving their brains a work-out to assist in learning, all in a non-competitive fun exercise package. Yoga is the perfect tool to provide them with not only a great start, but what will hopefully be a life-long partner.
Note: The views and advice expressed on this blog post are those of the author and are not representative of the Pregnancy Babies & Children's Expo.