The time has finally arrived where you’re ready to face the world, with your newborn by your side. It can be nerve wracking and even a little scary, but as long as you’re organised it’ll be the first of hundreds/
• Sleep is cyclical with multiple episodes of arousal followed by a return to sleep
• Sleep achievement is in part cue dependent
• Cues of sleep are learned can be altered and then relearned
• Sleep achievement and sleep maintenance are usefully regarded as learned skills
• Avoid children becoming over tired as this interferes with the learned skill of sleep
• Minimise cues of sleep achievement that are parent dependent (be ‘Parent lite’).
It has been known that swaddled babies sleep better, experience less anxiety and that swaddling prevents unnecessary wake-ups due to the startle reflex.
However, there comes a time when swaddling is no longer effective or worse becomes a safety risk to your baby.
Find out the signs to know when its time to stop swaddling
Babies and children need to move to develop their brains and experience the world through their senses.